Tuesday, April 23, 2013

More Than Just a Job

Everyday, I am thankful that my job is more than just a job.  You see, I have one of those jobs that I happen to love.  I am strongly passionate about the work I do day in and day out with some amazing people.  I have great co-workers, but more importantly, I have amazing students that I am so privileged to work with and for.

Although we are nearing the end of the school year, it is not quite time to be done just yet.  With just a few more trainings and programs left to go, the end is in sight.  But there is no better time to reflect and celebrate all that we have accomplished this past year!

I am so blessed to work with MSC LEAD and MSC Human Resources students.  It has been a great year for both, filled with lots of memories and tons of laughs along the way!  We were fortunate enough to win MSC Committee of the Year (MSC LEAD) and MSC Resource Area of the Year (MSC HR) at our recent Annual Awards ceremony!

Hannah, Chair of LEAD, Mason, VP of HR, and me, their lucky Advisor

This is my 8th year with MSC LEAD.  I started with them as a Graduate Assistant, and have had the privilege of advising them full-time for 6 years.  It has been amazing to see this organization grow, change, and evolve over time.  I have been with LEAD through a lot of highs and a lot of lows too.  All the LEAD students I have had over the years have a special place in my heart, and this year's staff and members are no different.  I loved getting to know them this past year as we worked together on their leadership development and programs that have made a huge impact!  They have taught me so much and I am so grateful to this bunch for letting me into their lives.  They remind me that we can truly go from good to great!

MSC LEAD Staff 2012-2013

MSC LEAD Exec Staff 2012-2013
Silly Execs
As for MSC HR, this is my first year with this team.  It is a selfless job to provide the trainings, selections, and awards component for the 1300 MSC members.  These 7 students have shown me what it means to lead with a servant's heart.  Our HR team was small, but definitely made a big impact.  And the smaller the team, the closer we were able to become.  In these students, I have seen so much growth and maturity and I will never forget my first (HR team, that is)!

MSC HR Team
Side story...one of my HR girls is dating Toney Hurd Jr.  That's right, #4 of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Football team, star defensive back, and all-around great guy.  He is an honorary member of our team.  =)

Our team with honorary member, Toney Hurd, Jr.


Sharking with Toney Hurd Jr.  


And now for some silly belly pics.  I have no idea why, but both MSC LEAD and MSC HR wanted to take pics to point out my growing belly...silly students!!!




 Thanks for the great year, guys!  Thanks for making this job more than just a job.  And never forget that "you are the reason for my job, not a burden to it."


1 comment:

  1. Hey

    I am writing you from Barcelona (Spain). I casually ended up on your blog looking for people doing the 'sharking'. It's funny because we thought we invented the 'sharking' thing (the gesture) in the record label whre i work (Roster Music). It was an idea that came as part of the marketing campaign surrounding the release of 'El Tiburon' (The Shark), the latest single of our main artist 'Henry Mendez'. He's quite popular in Spain (Tv appearances, nº1 Top sales during a few weeks..) and today he has landed on Miami to start his promotion tour on USA. This is the video with english subtitles of the song i am talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-QhhLQ8dko (the original is available on VEVO in USA) in case you want to share with your friends.

    I am very curious about the picture where you guys are doing the 'sharking' gesture. Do you know where does the 'sharking' thing come from?

    Thanks a lot! (i know my message is a little bit surreal)

    Marc Cuevas
    Digital Manager
    Roster Music

    ReplyDelete