Friday, August 17, 2012

Jillian Meets Cousin Mikey

Jillian was so excited to go to El Paso to meet her new baby cousin Mikey!  Mikey was born on July 3rd while we were in Aruba.  We could not wait for baby Mikey to join our family, and his birth story is actually a little crazy...
Mikey is the son of my brother Mike and his wife Jen.  They already have a child together, my niece Lauren.  Mike and Jen have been friends for over 13 years and have been together for nearly 8 years.  But they did not officially get married until the day before Mikey was born. Those two crazy kids went to the courthouse on July 2nd at 4 PM (yes, right before they closed for the day) and made it official.  The next day, my sister-in-law went into labor and Mikey was born.  As I mentioned, we were in Aruba and so all these important family updates came to me via email.  Talk about my surprise to find out that my big brother got married and had a baby boy all within 24 hours!
  

I knew that we would not be able to meet baby Mikey until he was already about a month old.  We could not wait to get to El Paso so we could meet the new addition to our family.  I showed Jillian lots of pictures of him before we got there, but she was excited to see him in person.  Jillian would point to Mikey and say "baby Mike."  And then she would run off to go play with cousin Lauren instead!


It was fun to see them all together.  It was clear that Lauren really loved her baby brother.  When he would cry, she would go over to him to try to comfort him...and Jillian would just look around for someone else to make him stop crying.


Jillian would try to share her toys with him and would try to play with him.  But, she realized that he does not quite play back yet.  I think it will be about a year until Jillian, Mikey, and Lauren are all running around together laughing, playing, and enjoying each other's company.


I really enjoyed meeting this little guy!  Even though he is only a month old, he is very much a BOY!  He smells like a boy (a cute baby boy), he looks like a boy, and changing his diaper was certainly interesting!  


I enjoyed holding baby Mikey any chance I got! It took some getting used to because holding an 8-pound 1-month-old is very different than lugging around a 25-pound 18-month old.  I really enjoyed cuddling with him and it made me almost ready to have another little one of my own...uh oh, sorry Julian!  Hope you are almost ready too!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment