Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Up at Night

A few weeks ago, Jillian had a rough time sleeping at night.  There were so many little things that were ailing her...she had a little nagging cough (doc said it sounds ok in her lungs, just sounds terrible on the outside), she had about 4 teeth coming in (including a molar or two), and she had an ear infection (again!).  Couple that all with a light sleeper and it was a recipe for a few more than a few nights awake.

During that time period, one of my former students, Allison, asked if she could stay at our house during an impromptu trip to College Station.  Of course I said yes, since she had just graduated from college and was waiting to move to Ohio to go to grad school.  I knew that she would be getting in late, and that didn't bother us one bit...

...except Jillian was up all night...

...which meant I was up all night...

...and though I was awake taking care of Jillian, I was also up worrying about Allison.  It's not that Allison was out too late, or not that she is a wild child, or even that I was worried about what she was doing while she was out.  I was just worried...why hadn't she text me yet, who was she with, did she designate a driver, was she with the right crowd who would take care of her if need be?! 

All the while, I was holding Jillian, rocking her back to sleep....

And I couldn't help but think about how I would stay up EVERY NIGHT for the rest of my life in order to hold her in my arms, and keep her safe, and know where she was, and that she was okay, and that there was no one else around who would not have her best interests in mind, and that she was at home in one piece.  I was thanking God for blessing us with this amazing miracle and for entrusting in us to take care of her, keep her safe and healthy, be there for her. I felt a sense of overwhelming responsibility to do everything we can to teach Jillian about making good decisions and looking out for herself.  I could not stop thinking about how precious these moments were and how quickly time flies, because someday, it would be Jillian that I was up late worrying about making it home. 

It was just one of those moments...you parents out there know what I'm taking about...

I know my mom knows what I'm talking about.  She used to wait up countless nights for me and my brother to get home, all while rocking my little brother or sister to sleep.  Mom, just want you to know that I now understand what you meant and how you felt...I am greatly appreciative...and greatly sorry for putting you through that. 

I am happy to say that Allison made it home, safe and sound.  And I rocked Jillian back to sleep for the rest of the night.  And all was well in the Acosta household.

1 comment: