Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Grand Slam Birthday Party

I have been dreaming of Alex's 1st birthday since before he was even born.  As soon as we found out we were having a little boy, I just knew that I wanted to throw him a baseball-themed 1st birthday party.  Some call me crazy for thinking that far ahead, but my plan was almost perfect...almost...

It started with a great invitation.  And who better to help with the invitation than the amazingly talented Sarah Burns to take the photo and the creative genius of Becca Paro to design the invite.  I'd say those 2 combined, plus Adorable Alex made his birthday invitation a Home Run!


Amidst all the craziness that life has had in store for us lately, Alex's birthday took a lot to prepare. I seriously could not have done it all without the help of my entire family to pull together all the little details.  But this little guy is worth every ounce of effort that everyone put in.  He sure is cute, right?!

For party details, I made a pennant-style birthday banner, baseball decor that we have around our house already anyway, and tons of baseball pictures of our baby boy.  I'll post all the baseball pics in a separate post because the series of them all are just too cute!


We also had a day at the ballpark menu, complete with hot dogs, nachos, lemonade, and potato salad.  We also did homemade cakes and cupcakes made by my Mom.


And of course, we had to have peanuts and Cracker Jacks.  We put them in favor boxes and there were also party favors for the kids.


A few months ago, I bought this great slip-n-slide in the shape of a baseball diamond for the kids to play with.  After all, I knew that a birthday party on a hot summer day would have to include some sort of water fun to keep the little ones entertained and cool.

Check out these all-stars taking the field.  I think someone needs to tell baby Koy that he is crawling the bases backwards!  And Jillian ran to steal second while Jackson was cheesing it up at home plate. She must get her baseball smarts from her Daddy!



There were other fun things to do, like jumping on our trampoline or splashing in a kiddie pool.  I'd say the kids had lots of fun.  

There's Jillian, pouting for the picture, while her friends smile!

Bubs' party seems like loads of fun, huh?!  Except you may be wondering why there are no pictures of him at his party...hmmmm...

Remember when I said my plan for his 1st birthday plan was almost perfect...


Well, it was almost perfect because I forgot to plan for him to NOT be sick for his party.  (OK, I know I could not have controlled that part).  He slept through 90% of his party...


And when he was awake, he was a little clingy.  Sigh...

We let everyone have a cupcake and most people left without seeing the birthday boy.  But since my family was here, they stuck around while we waited for Alex to wake up.  Once he did, we finally got to sing Happy Birthday to the sweet boy.  


Big sister Jillian helped us wish him a happy birthday and blow out the candles.  


And just like Jillian, he was not too fond of the icing on the cake.  I'm sure if he would have tasted it, he would have loved it.  But since he wasn't feeling so hot, we took his cake and decided to cuddle with him instead.


Alex's birthday would not have been complete without some family pictures.  After all, these people came a long way to spend it with the birthday boy.

The Acostas with Granny, Auntie Shell, Uncle Joseph, and cousin LoLo
With Grandma, Grandpa, Auntie Manda, Gilbert, and Lauren again
At the end of the night, it was still fun to get to look back on Alex's 1st year of life.  Our little family of 4 feels so complete and full of love thanks to this little guy.  I am proud of Julian and I for surviving and thriving with not one, but two, happy, healthy, wonderful kids.  

Alex, you are the little boy we always dreamed of.  You are our son, our pride and joy, our little man. Here's to a million more memories to come and years and years of happy birthdays to you, Bubsy!


Even if he was sick through most of it, I'd still say Alex's 1st birthday party was a Grand Slam!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment