Friday, September 13, 2013

The son he always dreamed of...

Over a year ago, I was blog stalking our photographer, Sarah Giles, and I came across some photos of fathers with their sons in baseball themed shots. I did what any good blog stalker would do...I pinned them on Pinterest to store for future use as inspiration for the day that my husband could take these photos with our son. 

At the time, we weren't yet trying for our second child. But these pictures really stayed with me, and I thought of them from time to time, often times when day dreaming of our future. I wasn't sure that these photos would ever happen. After all, it would take the miracle of getting pregnant again and then there's the 50/50 chance on if we would ever even have a boy...

For a lot of reasons, I was elated the day we found out we were having a boy. I remember thinking for a split second that day about these photos and how I couldn't wait for us to try to take some like it. But then my thoughts quickly raced on to another thought.

Couldn't wait for that to be my son in the photo
I knew this would come in handy some day


It wasn't until a few weeks before Alex was born that I remembered about these shots again as I was prepping for his newborn shoot. A lot of prep goes into these things. You have to pre-decide outfits and props and concepts...

It wasn't hard to gather all the things needed for these photos. Julian obviously already had his Yankees shirt. We had some old baseballs on hand that he uses as decor in his man cave. We already had the bat, a signed Robinson Cano piece of Yankees memorabilia. There were just a few pieces missing. 

I got a little Yankees hat for our son. It melted my heart the day it came in the mail. And I made sure that we took a baseball with us to the hospital so that we could get his little footprint on it, and keep that ball as a keepsake for his Daddy.  

Lastly, we needed a glove.  Julian asked his dad to lend him this glove.  To Julian's dad, this glove carries special significance as it is one he bought overseas while stationed in Korea.  He has had this glove for over 20 years now.

We had all that we needed to take the photos, but I had no idea just how perfectly they would turn out...

The moment we took these, I had to leave the room because there were tears in my eyes.  I was so overwhelmed with joy, watching my husband, decked out in his beloved Yankees gear, holding our son with so much pride and love in his eyes.  It hit me that I had given Julian what he had always dreamed of...a partner to watch Yankees games for years to come, a person to share his love of baseball with, a son to call his own...

Daddy's pride and joy




Our little slugger



Look how perfectly he fits in Papi Papo's glove


They say a picture is worth a thousand words...these pictures are worth a lot more than that to us.  These pictures are worth a thousand hopes and dreams we had for our future a thousand memories and wishes to come with our son!

No comments:

Post a Comment