Thursday, October 13, 2011

How I Met Your Father...

Dear Jillian,
Today, Mommy and Daddy have been together for 7 years!  These past 7 years have been absolutely amazing, and I want to tell you the story of how I met your father...
I first met your dad on October 2, 2004.  It was a Saturday and me and my girl friends were walking to a UTEP football game.  We were walking next to your dad and one of his friends and here is our first conversation:
Mommy: Hey, what's your name?
Daddy: My name is Julian.
Mommy: Hey, that's my name too.
Daddy: No it's not, your name is Amber!
Mommy: thinking to myself "He knows my name??!!"  Actually, Amber is my middle name, my first name is Julienne.
I was really surprised that Daddy knew who I was, but I soon remembered that he probably knew my name because we were both in the UTEP Homecoming pageant that year.  Throughout the next few days, I saw Daddy a lot, at pageant practice, or with some mutual friends of ours. 
On Wednesday, October 13, 2004, during Homecoming Week, it was finally time for the big pageant.  Mommy and Daddy were both really nervous about this night, because we had to strut our stuff on stage, dance, and speak in front of a lot of people.  Mommy has the pageant on video, and some day, when you are older, we will show it to you. ;)
All night, every time Mommy was on stage, Daddy was in the back clapping and cheering me on.  That night, Mommy won the title of Homecoming Princess!  After the pageant was over, all of the Homecoming contestants and organizers were going out to celebrate.  When Mommy got to the location, Daddy wasn't there.  So Mommy did some investigative work and called one of Daddy's friends to make sure they were coming.  Sure enough, 30 minutes later, Daddy showed up!  Mommy was really nervous, but seeing how well the night had been so far, Mommy asked Daddy to hang out with her, and he agreed.  That first night as Mommy and Daddy started dating, we hung out till 4 AM!  When you are older, you will not be allowed to stay out with boys till 4 AM, just FYI ;)  Here is our first picture together ever!

Please note that this picture was taken before digital cameras were popular, so that's why my eyes are half closed...because I didn't know we needed to retake the picture!

And ever since then, Mommy and Daddy have been inseparable, moving to College Station together, finishing college, getting engaged, having the most memorable wedding, and being married.  But by far, the best part of these past 7 years has been YOU!  Yes, little you, Jillian! 
As I think back to that fateful day, I can't help but think of how young we were and how we did not know at the time that starting to date that day would end up with being together this long.  But please know that I have enjoyed every day of being with your Daddy.  He makes life so interesting and fun, he lights up my days, he keeps me grounded and positive, he's just so handsome, he takes care of me and you, and so much more!
So there's the story of how I met your father!  It's been a great 7 years, and here's to 70 more filled with happy times, tough times, more babies, raising kids, grand babies, and most of all LOVE!
Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment